Topic Space allows a user scan an item's barcode in the book stacks. The module will show the user other books that are relevant but that are not shelved nearby.
Information displayed in the Topic Space Module includes:
- Range - Gives a suggested call number range that relates to the scanned book.
- Includes - Shows one of the titles from a book that is located within the suggested call number range.
- Title - The title of the item.
- Author - The author of the item.
- Publication Date - The publication date of the item.
- Location - The format type of the item.
To start a scan, click on the button which reads, “Start Scanning.” If available, this will bring up the device’s camera. Locate the library’s barcode and center it on your device’s screen. The Scanner Module will automatically capture the barcode after it focuses. You will then be taken to suggested topic areas.
The search results will be displayed in a list. Scroll up and down the list to see all of the items. From here, you can see the suggested call number range for suggested books of interested. On the right side of each item is a green oval that displays the estimated number of books that relate to the scanned item.
Exploring a Topic Space
By clicking on one of the list items, you can expand the dropdown menu to receive more information on which books are located within that Topic Space.
Mapping a Topic Space
Clicking on “Map it!” will generate a map of the library and a red circular point, which marks the location of the selected Topic Space.
Selecting an Item
If a particular item within a Topic Space seems interesting, by clicking the item, you can see more information, such as locations, status, and description.